> Mrs. O'Neill's Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2007


I am slightly overcome with the American experience, and just getting through each day by nodding wisely when I am particularly confused. As a result the student impersonation of me includes an unintelligible accent (or brogue as they insist on calling it) and lots of head nodding...
It's a great experience seeing another education system from the inside. It's the small things you notice first. I regularly forget that 'foolscap' is called 'looseleaf' and that you don't 'take the register' you 'take attendance'.

I'm still looking out for ways I can use new technologies and actually add something by doing that. Our school does have a site for teachers to post lesson plans and homework to, which is great, but I am not aware yet of how much teachers here use the internet for, apart from that.

The students are doing that thing they do, of pretending that the Internet doesn’t exist for them in the context that I describe. They look vaguely embarrassed if I mention facebook or myspace in the sort of way we did when teachers asked us if we liked ‘The Stranglers or whatever they are called’.

Meanwhile back in Stranraer one of my previous pupils is writing away, blogging about all of these issues and wondering if teachers are planning to use them.

So inspired by Jemma I am looking out for a good project for a wiki.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just come across your blog - linked through Guineapig Mum. I am intrigued as to how you went on holiday from the South of Scotland to the US and ended up staying. I think I must have missed something. Some years ago I was a consultant for companies who relocated their staff worldwide and one of the things that was missing in what we could offer was an insight into what changes an employee and their family might have to make. Your blog would have been great!
Jackie

Liz O'Neill said...

Jackie,
Thanks! It was all pretty quick. I actually had to come home to get a visa -but having the job offer obviously helped. The school felt I was a good fit for them and helped with the paperwork which was very useful.

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I've been wondering the same! Did you go on holiday with the idea of looking for a job? I know you'd just sold your house and you sound like you have family over there. Just being nosy - but maybe that's what blogs are all about! Have you managed to look at Not wrong, just different http://blogiota.blogspot.com/ ?

Jemma said...

Ola Miss!

First off, you know me and my attachments to pictures, where did you find that map picture? Its brilliant! South West Scotland´s never looked so interesting! ;)

Secondly, I think kids these days use the "lets pretend we dont know what she´s talking about" thing because its quite odd finding someone like a teacher or a parent knowing and talking about what kids see as being "their thing" ie, the internet, FaceBook etc. Personally I find it funny.

Wow. Give that statement to a teenager and get them to guess the age of the poster, I bet it wouldn´t be 15. *rolleyes*

Annnd -quite a long comment tonight- thank you for the mention. Not quite sure how to react as I never do get noted for things. Haha. But its cool!

PS, keep the accent, its braw! ;D

Liz O'Neill said...

Chris, we came on holiday (for 5 weeks!) open to the possibility of me looking for a job here. Husband's younger brother here and loves it. To be honest I had no idea whether it was possible. But things just seemed to click into place. I saw the job on the St Paul diocesan website and applied online. Followed it up with a 'phone call -and was asked to come in for an interview. The school is RC and private, but in an inner city setting and funding a high number of scholarships from this area. Our son Jerry (aged 11) is filipino and we were hoping to find a school where he might feel at home because of the multiracial aspect. He loves it already :)

Thanks Jemma!Especially for you insights! Keep blogging!